Thursday, September 6, 2012

Little Mermaid Cake

I was asked by a friend back in June to help out a family in need by donating one of my cakes for a little girls birthday party.


They made the theme the Little Mermaid. I told them I would donate a 9 inch round cake and 3 dozen cupcakes. The plan was that the cupcakes would be served at the party and the cake could be taken home to be enjoyed by the family for Abby's birthday.


I spent a few days hand crafting the little mermaid and a few more days allowing her to dry. The overall design was based around another cake I had seen, but essentially it was all my own designs.


My one aim when making this cake was to make it as bright and colorful as possible to make the day a happy occasion whilst being bright and fun!


As I finished putting all of the components together on this cake, I discovered a fun way to make bubbles, which I decided to scatter around the "Happy birthday" to bring it to life a little bit more. I even made a flounder to try and tie it to the little mermaid as much as possible.


I think this is one of the top cakes I have had the most fun making, taking me back to my favorite childhood fairy tale  Having the freedom with this cake to make anything I pleased and design it however I felt was right, gave me a lot of satisfaction. The most satisfying moment was hearing feedback about how excited Abby was to have this cake on her birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment