Friday, September 7, 2012

Princess Jordyn's Cake Smash


Recently I was employed to make a cake for a little princess' 1st Birthday. The sole function of this cake was to look pretty initially, for photos of course, and then, to be smashed into by the birthday girl. It's a fun thing to do, and I know a lot of people that have never heard of it. My mum being a photographer has actually been doing photo shoots of cake smashes. They are loads of fun!



Anyway, back to the point. There was no real theme for this birthday to begin with, so after putting together a few examples of what I could do, the customer decided on a girly pink theme. Im talking, pink spots, swirly ribbons on top, you name it!


The only problem that I could see, was with a cake smash, you want the subject to become extremely messy. I mean, whats the point in smashing into a cake, if your not going to get a little bit messy! (It honestly makes for some great photos) So my problem was, if I covered the cake completely in fondant it wasnt really going to be messy enough.


After speaking it over with the customer and telling her of these concerns, we agreed to cover the cake in a white buttercream and then decorate with fondant.


In the end this is what I came up with - It was all baked, covered and decorated in the same morning of the delivery. I finished it with a cute multi-colored spotted '1' candle. I thought it just looked too sweet in the end, don't you?! It looks like a little wrapped gift of cake to me. :)

Jordyn enjoying the cake! 
I was lucky enough to have the customer send me some of her own pictures as well. I think Jordyn looks too cute with frosting all over her face! I also made for the customer 3 dozen chocolate sour cream cupcakes with a milk chocolate swiss meringue buttercream with girly fondant toppers - including little ribbons. Such a sweet cake to make, for such a sweet little girl! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment